Since B and I work from home, we always used lunch as an opportunity to get out of the house, but eating out every single day adds up. Instead, we now incorporate early evening walks into our routine and homemade lunches like this one into our diet.
If you’re someone who’s not very interested in cold cut sandwiches (like myself), this is a great alternative! Even if you don’t work from home, you can make this the night before and take it with you. Planning your lunches ahead of time can be a little annoying, but so worth it in the end! Think of all the change you’ll be saving to put towards a new blouse.
1 large portobello mushroom
1 chicken breast
Roasted red peppers
1. Wash the mushroom and then slice it. Cook the slices on top of the stove until tender.
2. Cook the chicken breast on top of the stove in another pan. We like to butterfly the breast half way through to make two servings.
3. Spray a cookie sheet with PAM. Place chicken breast(s) on the pan.
4. Spread a liberal amount of pesto sauce on the chicken breast(s).
5. Place the mushroom slices on top of the chicken.
6. Slice the roasted red peppers and place them on top of the pesto.
7. Pile on mozzarella cheese, keeping it close to the center so it will stay on the food as it melts.
8. Move the top rack in the oven towards the top and turn on the broiler.
9. Place the food under the broiler and cook for a couple of minutes until the cheese is melted.
You can serve the chicken on a plate as is or turn it into a sandwich. B likes to put extra pesto and sun-dried tomato sauce on his sandwich. This would be extra tasty with spinach on the side, which is something I’ll probably do next time. Let me know if you end up trying it!Back to Blog